Medicine

Spain terror attack: President Ram Nath Kovind, VP Venkaiah Naidu offer condolences

Spain terror attack: President Ram Nath Kovind, VP Venkaiah Naidu offer condolences”

Six civilians and a police officer were injured in Cambrils when the attackers ran them over in a auto, before police shot them dead and carried out controlled explosions.

Prime Minister Theresa May said a child with dual British nationality was believed to be among those unaccounted for, after a grandfather made a desperate online plea for information about his young grandson's whereabouts following the van attack in the Catalan capital.

"But in a way it's a miracle that more Irish people weren't involved, given that there are so many Irish people in Spain, Barcelona and Cambrils at this time of year". Four suspects have been arrested. A blast on Wednesday in Alcanar, a town south of Barcelona, which was originally thought to be due to a gas leak may have actually deprived plotters of bomb-making materials.

Trapero said the investigation was focusing on a house in Alcanar, which was razed by an explosion shortly before midnight on Wednesday.

It was reported that the men were wearing fake explosive vests at the time and were armed with guns, machetes and axes.

The Islamic State claimed the eruption of violence via its new agency hours after the first attack on Thursday, though it was not immediately clear what if any links the suspects had to global terror organizations or how large their cell was.

On Thursday, a van struck a crowd on a busy street in the Spanish city of Barcelona.

"It is clear that the intention of those who carried out this appalling, evil act was to kill, wound and terrorise innocent people enjoying the freedoms we share and cherish", he said.

The Spanish royal household said on Twitter: "They are murderers, nothing more than criminals who are not going to terrorise us".

On the same day, police removed the cordon at the attack scene in Barcelona.

Danish Prime Minister Lars Rasmussen said Europe has "again been attacked by terror".

Canadian officials Friday still advised Canadians in Barcelona to avoid the Las Ramblas area, where Thursday's attack occurred, and follow directions from local authorities.

World leaders, including German Chancellor Angela Merkel, French President Emmanuel Macron and US President Donald Trump, condemned the violence, expressing outrage and solidarity with the victims. The parents were originally from the Philippines, and Manila said its honorary consul in Barcelona had been to check on them.

He claimed that his identity documents, discovered in the van used for the attack, had been stolen and that his brother was responsible, according to local news reports.

"I heard this just group of people scream".

He said: "We are working on the hypothesis that these attacks were being prepared for a while around this private home in Alcanar".

A demonstration that will include a minute of silence honoring the victims was announced by public officials for Friday noon at the Plaza Catalunya, next to the top of the Ramblas, where the deadly attack began.



Like this

Latest




Recommended